New IBM SmartCloud Offering Leverages Desktone’s Multi-tenancy for Security and Compliance
Lexington, MA –– Desktone, Inc., the pioneer of Desktops as a Service (DaaS), today announced a new DaaS service available immediately on IBM SmartCloud for Government, for federal government agencies and departments. By delivering the Desktone Platform, the industry’s leading multi-tenant desktop virtualization platform purpose-built for Service Providers, via IBM SmartCloud, IBM is providing the security and compliance the government requires along with the high-performing desktop environment demanded by mobile workforces.
“IBM SmartCloud services are renowned for helping the federal government operate smarter and more efficiently. We’re thrilled IBM has selected Desktone to extend those services to DaaS,” said Peter McKay, CEO, Desktone. “By combining IBM’s secure data center delivery with Desktone’s unique multi-tenancy and security capabilities, we’re addressing the government’s stringent needs for control, savings and flexibility.”
"This Desktone announcement demonstrates IBM's continued commitment to provide cloud solutions that meet the demanding requirements of our Federal clients," said Jim Wilcox, IBM GBS North America Cloud Leader.
DaaS has unique requirements—including massive scalability, resiliency and the ability to securely handle multiple geographies and tenants—which can’t be met by porting traditional virtual desktop technologies to the cloud. Desktone’s DaaS technology was built from the ground up for cloud delivery and Service Providers. Unlike other approaches, Desktone employs true multi-tenancy, which enables the superior security required by the federal government. Desktone’s multi-tenancy delivers a shared, unified platform for all end-customers, with dedicated desktops and completely secure separation across five critical levels: meta-data, storage, networking, directory services and compute.
DaaS on the IBM SmartCloud for Government provides a low-cost, low-risk entry point into desktop virtualization for government departments and agencies:
- Use DaaS consumption model for easy, fast cloud ramp-up with no long-term commitment.
- Virtually eliminate the need to own and operate desktop virtualization infrastructure.
- Make it easy to keep desktops in compliance.
- Support mobile workforce. The desktop profile travels with the user. It’s not dependent on a physical office or home location.
- Meet FISMA (Federal Information Security Management Act) moderate security level; delivered via FISMA/DIACAP (DoD Information Assurance Certification and Accreditation Process)-compliant Federal Data Centers.