Traffic Increases 60% in 2008, Reaching 11 Million Unique Viewers in December
Palo Alto, CA – January 15, 2009 – Metacafe® enjoyed a record-breaking month in December and strengthened its position as the leading independent online video site in the United States, attracting more than 11 million unique U.S. viewers, as reported in the recently released comScore Media Metrix data. This represents a greater than 60% increase since January of 2008 and a 20% increase over the month of November, making Metacafe one of the country’s fastest-growing video sites.
“We’re pleased to start the new year with such strong momentum, which underscores the fact that online video has become an integral part of people’s daily lives,” said Jack Rotherham, senior vice president of strategic sales and partnerships for Metacafe. “Our focus on making it easy to find and discover entertaining videos keeps consumers coming back for more, and we’re committed to helping Fortune 1000 brands connect with those consumers through innovative marketing campaigns well-suited to the medium.”
Recent Metacafe initiatives contributing to this growth include:
- The new NBA channel, which features game highlights, top plays and weekly recaps.
- The new Music channel, which features established artists and up-and-coming acts in the genres of Pop, Rock, R&B, Hip Hop, Country and Latin.
- The addition of more than 30 featured channels from best-of-the-web content partners and boutique production firms making short-form videos
- The MetaFest online-offline film festival, which honored 26 short films by 23 filmmakers from 10 countries and awarded more than $10,000 in prizes.
- The WikicafeTM feature, which empowers the Metacafe community to add and edit the tags, titles, descriptions and more for any of the millions of videos on the site, helping improve video search results and recommendations.